For the last 2 weeks, I’ve had excruciating tooth pain that seemed to hit me intensely out of nowhere.
I will say I have a bit of a detective’s brain and you kind of have to go at it in this way to uncover what is the root cause of pain.
I’ve been healing from leaky gut, which is one of the leading causes of dry mouth, cavities, and mouth issues. Which took me years to find out on my own, with no help from my dentist(s) as to why I keep creating cavities even though I take ridiculously good care of my teeth. So for me, I now know that as my gut heals more and more, my saliva is rebuilding, and my teeth are then able to heal and stay healthy.
Our bodies absolutely can heal from anything when we create the environment to align and balance itself out. Our bodies are so intelligent and unfortunately, our society has brainwashed us into believing otherwise to create profits for big pharma.
So first off I would like to say if you are dealing with teeth issues, you 100% can heal yourself without a dentist. However, this is completely up to you and it is NOT the easy solution, and it is not the fast solution. It does take time to regrow bone but it is 100% possible just like all bones and tissues that regrow and heal in our bodies. The easy and fast solution is going to the dentist and letting them take care of it for you, which I have done, many, many times. This time I’m going about it differently, and it’s working.
You ultimately know what your body needs. If a dentist is what you need, then go. I’m just here to offer some remedies that are working for me and I hope you get some value out of this content.
With that said, this is how I am holistically healing all of my cavities and dry mouth.
Section 1: Supplements and Diet
If you have mouth issues, you have digestive issues. Your mouth is an extension of your digestive system.
I will be doing a post on how I’ve healed my leaky gut once it is fully balanced (it is healing wonderfully btw and the dry mouth I have suffered with for 4 years is diminishing quickly, just one of the beautiful signs from my body that it’s healing) but for now I will give you the top things that I’ve used to heal mine.
My Daily Leaky gut protocol from Dr. Axe
(Information sourced from www.draxe.com)
What I eat:
Bone Broth — Bone broth contains collagen and the amino acids proline and glycine that can help heal your damaged cell walls. I’ve had many of my patients do a bone broth fast for three days to help treat leaky gut and autoimmune disease. (I make my own bone broth in a crockpot with the bones from my weekly rotisserie antibiotic and hormone free chicken and drink it hot like tea every few days unless I have enough to do everyday)
Raw Cultured Dairy — Raw dairy contains beneficial bacteria when fermented and short-chain fatty acids that can help heal the gut. Pastured kefir, yogurt, amasai, butter and raw cheese are some of the best options. (I do not eat dairy so I use cashew yogurt instead)
Fermented Foods — In addition to fermented dairy products, fermented vegetables are some of the healthiest probiotic foods. They contain organic acids that balance intestinal pH and probiotics to support the gut. Sauerkraut, kimchi and kvass are excellent sources. (I eat a tiny portion of local sauerkraut/beet kraut daily with my dinner)
Coconut Products — All coconut products are especially good for your gut. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut are thought to be easier to digest than other fats so they work well for maintaining digestive health. Also, coconut kefir contains healthy microbes that support your digestive system. (I use canned coconut milk with the fat to make vegan cheese dip)
Sprouted Seeds — Chia seeds, flaxseeds and hemp seeds that have been sprouted are great sources of fiber that can help support the growth of beneficial bacteria. If you have severe leaky gut, you may need to start out getting your fiber from steamed vegetables and fruit.
Healthy Fats — Consuming healthy fats in moderation like egg yolks, avocados, ghee and coconut oil is easy on the gut and promotes nutrient absorption. (I cook everything on the stovetop with coconut oil and make guacamole from scratch.)
Omega-3 Fats — Certain protein foods also contain healthy omega-3 fats, such as grass-fed beef, lamb and wild-caught fish like salmon.
Fruit – Consuming one to two servings of fruit daily is a good way to obtain vitamins and minerals. You can steam apples and pears to make homemade applesauce or fruit sauce. Fruit is best consumed in the morning and not later on in the day, and remember to keep fruit intake in moderation.
The supplements I take to heal leaky gut:
Probiotics (50–100 billion units daily) — This is the most important supplement to take because it helps replenish good bacteria and crowds out bad bacteria. I recommend getting probiotics in both food and supplement form. By only following part of the protocol in treating leaky gut syndrome by removing the damaging irritants, you may fail to re-inoculate the gut with beneficial bacteria that will keep bad bacteria at bay. Based on available research, look for strains like Bacillus clausii, Bacillus subtilis, Saccharomyces boulardii and Bacillus coagulans.
L-Glutamine — Critical for any program designed to heal leaky gut, glutamine powder is an essential amino acid supplement that has anti-inflammatory properties and is necessary for the growth and repair of your intestinal lining. L-glutamine benefits include acting as a protector, coating your cell walls and acting as a repellent to irritants.
Licorice Root — An adaptogenic herb that helps balance cortisol levels and improves acid production in the stomach, licorice root supports the body’s natural processes for maintaining the mucosal lining of the stomach and duodenum. This herb is especially beneficial if someone’s leaky gut is caused by emotional stress due to how it can help improve the way you produce and metabolize cortisol.
Marshmallow Root — Because it has antioxidant and antihistamine properties, marshmallow root makes a great addition to any natural medicine cabinet, particularly for those struggling with gut-related issues.
Additional things you can take that I do not:
Shilajit — A tar-like medicinal herb used frequently in Ayurvedic medicine, shilajit can protect from stomach ulcers as well as reduce inflammation triggered or exacerbated by leaky gut.
Digestive enzymes (one to two capsules at the beginning of each meal) — These ensure that foods are fully digested, decreasing the chance that partially digested foods particles and proteins are damaging your gut wall. (I get these from certain foods I eat regularly instead of taking a supplement)
Foods/ingredients to avoid for treating leaky gut and cavities include:
- Refined sugar – During this cleanse I only consume honey, stevia, xylitol (natural substance that prevents cavities), and some fruit for my “sweet tooth”. Sugar is highly acidic and only adds resistance to healing and will delay your body’s ability to heal so it’s best to cut it out during this detox.
- Unsprouted grains, especially those containing gluten (wheat, rye and barley) — note that sprouting and fermenting grains reduces phytates and lectins, making these foods easier to digest
- Processed foods made with added sugar
- GMOs foods (GMO and hybridized foods tend to be the highest in lectins since they have been modified to fight off bugs)
- Refined oils
- Processed foods made with synthetic food additives
- Inflammatory foods such as:
- Fried Foods
- Processed Meat
- Refined Carbohydrates
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Vegetable Oil
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup
- Conventional dairy products
- Heavy alcohol use
By healing your gut, you also heal your mouth. They go hand in hand so this is step one and it’s a win/win really because it also is the root of almost every issue in our bodies. So not only will you be healing your teeth but any other illnesses you’ve been dealing with simultaneously!
If you would like more info about this topic you can visit youtube and go down the rabbithole. Here’s some videos to start with.
Section 2: Medicine and Herbs
This is what has worked for me. I’m an all or nothing kind of gal so I do all the things, in all areas. You can pick and choose whatever feels right for you and your body!
This was a game changer with the sensitivity I was experiencing. Within a few days the sensitivity was completely gone.
I floss, brush, and rinse every morning and brush and rinse every night. Every single time after I eat anything, I rinse my mouth with the tincture. This stuff WORKS. I’m astonished because that’s always something products claim but it’s usually a lie. This really is working for me and I will continue it until all of my cavities are completely healed.
In addition to this, this has been my natural protocol for medicine:
- I take 1 oil of oregano pill a day for tooth infections, just in case. This is short term for 2 weeks total.
- I cut up garlic cloves into 3 sections and chew it with olive oil or coconut oil directly on the painful tooth. I won’t lie, it’s intense. But just like the oregano oil, it’s a natural antibiotic and pain reliever. Then I just swallow the garlic because raw garlic is both an antibiotic (killing off hostile bacteria) and a prebiotic (feeding good bacteria). So…win/win.
If this is too intense for you because it does burn a bit, you can crush raw garlic in olive oil and use the oil to swish around and do oil pulling instead.
- I made my own comfrey oil with avocado oil. that I put on my neck and jawline. Comfrey regrows and heals bones (hello teeth) in addition to being a pain reliever. It has many other medicinal benefits as well.
- Oregano and lavender essential oil – I used these with coconut oil to rub on my jaw for infection and cavities. They are both also used for pain and healing wounds among many other benefits.
- Clove oil – I heated up filtered spring water on the stove just enough to not make my teeth cringe in agony from the sensitivity and added ground clove spice, then swished with it for several minutes to numb the pain. This is the fastest method I found to relieve tooth pain instantly. I did this several times a day the first week because the pain was so bad.
- Himalayan salt – This one I added to both the clove oil swish and the remineralizing swish to add an extra boost of healing and PH balancing effect.
- Oil pulling – I do oil pulling with coconut oil every night before bed when I’m in the shower, before I brush my teeth. This is an ancient ayurvedic remedy for healthy teeth and gums. It also helps with dry mouth!
- Tongue scraper – This is also an ayurvedic remedy that gets the bacteria off of your tongue that your tooth brush doesn’t for an even healthier mouth.
The goal here is to create a healthy PH balanced, good bacteria, alkaline environment more of the time than not. This is why it’s important to do these things after you eat so that your PH balance can go back to healing mode constantly when you aren’t eating something.
Section 3: Pain
For your body to heal it must be in the parasympathetic nervous system state. Which means, it has to be relaxed. Tooth pain is literally the worst pain I can think of. I don’t take any pharmaceutical drugs or medicines that aren’t natural.
So here’s my list of pain relievers that helped me:
(some I have already mentioned above)
- Homeopathy (Definitions sourced from here)
- Chamomilla – Is an entire row of teeth painful? Do you feel sharp, nearly unbearable pains that come in flashes? Is your overall sensitivity to pain acute? Then Chamomilla might present an excellent soothing remedy. Basically, you are unable to handle the pain, which is aggravated by warmth and warm food. Irritability has set in.
- Arnica Montana – Arnica is good for pain and swelling brought about by false teeth or recent dental work. If everything is just sore, then Arnica may be the one for you.
- Symphytum Officinale – Relieves Symptoms of bone trauma (If you do have to go to the dentist this one is very helpful for recovery)
- Arnica Montana: Arnica is good for pain and swelling brought about by false teeth or recent dental work. If everything is just sore, then Arnica may be the one for you.
- Mercurius – This is for a pulsating pain that feels worse at night and in rainy, damp weather. It is sore to the touch and when chewing — this soreness radiates throughout the entire jaw and much of the face. Saliva flows excessively and there is a slightly sweet or metallic taste in your mouth. Your breath smells bad and your gums appear swollen. A yellow coating is on your tongue and your teeth might feel loose inside your mouth. Hot or cold beverages are both unpleasant.
- Coffea – This remedy is created from unroasted coffee. It is best for very sharp toothaches, like pain across a nerve. You are intensely sensitive to the pain, and your demeanor turns quickly to being excitable, restless, anxious, and irritable. Pain comes in waves intermittently and is worse when you chew and when you drink anything warm. A mouthful of cold water feels good. If you are a nervous, hypersensitive person, this points to Coffea as a toothache remedy for you.
- Calcarea Carbonica – This is best for throbbing pain and sensitivity to cold. You will also be sensitive to overly hot drinks and food. You have a tendency to grind teeth and, without thinking, you are prone to making chewing motions with your mouth.
- Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum – This toothache is like something is poking you right in the gum. You are irritable, chilly, and the tooth in question is worse when it is touched. If you have an abscessed tooth, Hepar is especially useful. as it can drain the pus, which in turn reduces your pain.
- Lavender essential oil – I rub this is on my jaws with a carrier oil
- Chewing raw garlic with coconut oil once every hour. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me.
- Clove spice with water swish
- Valerian root tincture – This was a huge one for me to be able to sleep. Valerian is a sedative but if you are in pain it will just curb the pain. However if you take enough of it, you will be able to sleep also. I take 4 drops at night in water. This is something that you can get dependent on and should be used with caution if you aren’t in pain.
Using the muscle testing method to let your body tell you what it needs:
When I take any medicine or homeopathy and I’m unsure what to take, I let my body tell me. There are a few different ways to do muscle testing and you can google that for yourself if you’d like, but the one that works for me is the sway. I stand straight up and relaxed making sure my feet are on a flat surface. Then I hold the medicine in my hand and I ask my body, “Body, Do you want this?” If your body sways forward even slightly is it a yes, if it sways backwards it is a no. I use this technique when I’m in stores and can’t decide what to buy too. Your body always knows whats right for you even if your mind is confused with decisions.
Section 4: Emotions
This part is just as important, if not more, than everything else we’ve covered. Physical pain is always a result of an emotion. I have done years of research on this topic and it’s how I’ve learned to heal so much in my body for myself and my clients. If it’s an advanced cavity or mouth issue, there is most definitely a long buried emotion(s). There is always a correlation when you know what to look for.
In Louise Hays book “You can heal your life”, it says the problem in teeth could be caused by Long-standing indecisiveness. Inability to break down ideas for analysis and decisions.
For me that did not ring true, but maybe it does for you?
For me I was able to get to the root of my problem with the teeth chart.
Each tooth has an emotional correlation.
Chart Sourced from The Holistic Toot Fairy
I started doing EFT around it, childhood memories started surfacing and it was all anger. So much anger.
I tap every time the pain surfaces and it is literally pure magic. The pain completely dissipates after tapping. I just keep doing it when the pain arises and a different memory will surface with an emotion of anger. You get the picture.
After a while I started to realize just how much childhood anger I had repressed and it seemed impossible to tap through each and every memory.
I was then led to this guided meditation by my favorite walk-in, Steve Nobel. And it cleared them all at once. Since I have done this meditation the pain is completely gone.
Section 5: Energy Healing
Obviously as an energy healer I have also been doing reiki on myself everyday to help. This is also a huge part of my pain relief but I felt that it needed it’s own section since reiki is not just for pain, but for overall well being of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual healing.
When we have pain in our bodies that becomes a loud scream, it’s just our body’s alarm to say hey, please finally look at this and let it go so we can be in balance again. Thank your body for telling you and help it heal. Be easy on yourself. It’s all on purpose.
I’m still doing the protocol and will continue it until I see all my cavities disappear completely. And I will share the before and after pictures at the bottom of this post when it’s reached that stage.
Cavities don’t happen overnight, so they do take some time to heal just as they took time to form. But it is 100% possible.
We are powerful source energy beings in human bodies and we are capable of anything we set our minds to!